?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Why attempting to ferment Lidl pear or peach nectar is a mistake - oldbloke's mutterings
July 4th, 2011
11:41 pm
[User Picture]

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Why attempting to ferment Lidl pear or peach nectar is a mistake
Pear:


Peach:


I just tried to filter them through muslin. Got a fair bit of gunk out of the pear but most of the peach gunk stayed in. Oh well, live and learn.

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments
 
[User Picture]
From:g8bur
Date:July 5th, 2011 08:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
I had a broadly-comparable experience when I tried to make a strawberry cream liqueur some years ago. It stratified during storage, and the cream went lumpy.

I recovered the strawberry-flavoured vodka from under the cream by inserting a length of thin, very-flexible plastic tube (which Geoff produced from somewhere in shedspace; I think it may have been of medical origin) and siphoning it out. It was quite drinkable.
[User Picture]
From:oldbloke
Date:July 5th, 2011 01:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
mmm you wouldn't have lost too much vodka to the cream layer there, I guess. That pulp is very low density and has a lot of the desired product mixed in with it. I got some gunge out with a muslin filter and they're still fermenting so I may get away with the exposure to oxygen, and the remaining gunge looks like it might settle better. Elsewhere I've been advised to leave it until it's just about fermented out, retrieve what I can, add grape jiuce and let that ferment out. Not sure I can be arsed - less than a tenner's worth of ingredients, and will get something out of it even if I just take whataver clear layer eventually develops.
[User Picture]
From:g8bur
Date:July 5th, 2011 02:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
...you wouldn't have lost too much vodka to the cream layer there, I guess.

The recovered strawberry liqueur did indeed seem to be almost as strong as the original strength (~20% vol.)[1] to which I mixed the ingredients, it didn't appear to have taken up any of the alcohol. The cream residue I just poured away, as I didn't feel like swallowing any of it.

That pulp is very low density and has a lot of the desired product mixed in with it.

I remember filtering the pulp out of another, plain, raspberry liqueur using muslin, and a fair bit of haze remained in the filtrate. Luckily it sank to the bottom of the receiving bottle, so I was able to drink almost all of the end product.

I got some gunge out with a muslin filter and they're still fermenting so I may get away with the exposure to oxygen, and the remaining gunge looks like it might settle better.

I reckon that'd be the best way, rather than putting new fermentables into something that might turn out to be duff. Good luck!

[1]I normally mix liqueurs to 20% vol. to preclude any fermentation, following the example of port producers who add brandy to their wine up to that strength to stop the fermentation.
My Website Powered by LiveJournal.com